Print this handy list of questions and take it with you to your next doctor’s appointment.
Sleep apnea is a medical condition in which air movement through the throat into the lungs is reduced during sleep. This condition may affect a person’s daily activities due to impaired sleep but also has been recognized to have an impact on your general health including an increase in blood pressure. Treatment usually involves a machine called CPAP with a face mask (continuous positive airway pressure) that keeps the lungs fully inflated at night.
Top 5 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Sleep Apnea
1. Are any of my current medications contributing to my sleep apnea?
2. Do I need additional tests to confirm my diagnosis of sleep apnea?
3. I have been told that I snore loudly. Should I be tested for sleep apnea?
4. What is the most likely cause of my sleep apnea?
5. What restrictions should I follow because I have sleep apnea?
Additional Questions You May Consider Asking About Sleep Apnea
1. Are any of the sleep apnea devices portable?
2. Do you recommend over the counter products for loud snoring?
3. What are my CPAP settings?
4. What things should I keep in mind when choosing different sleep apnea devices such as CPAP?
5. Will changing the position in which I sleep help improve my sleep apnea?
6. Will weight loss improve my sleep apnea?